People stuff and things!

I had a rather curious discussion, albeit a brief one about selfishness recently. About how potentially the most selfish thing you can do is to do something for another. I disagree with this statement.

A selfish person serves their own self-interests, they do not care about another person's well being, they do not care about the state of another's property or lifestyle, they do not care about anybody except themselves because they are the centre of the Universe.

That is at least, the extreme end of the spectrum.

The other end is the pure Altruist, who will unhealthily sacrifice their own well-being for others because it makes them feel good and happy and genuine. Sounds nice in principle, but think about it for a moment. What kind of a life do you live if you do only what others want or seek? What kind of a person does it make you?

To me? A bit of a silly one.

Selfishness is human nature, human beings are prone to feelings of greed and envy even if only slightly, perceptions don't help in the sense that one person can see an action as a selfish endeavour yet another person sees it as a kindly thing to do. Is it a problem then, to have selfishness within us?

No, it's not.

People are complex beings, we have a large myriad of emotions and mindsets within us, it's what makes us unique because biology doesn't. Mentality, personal values, ways of thinking and attitudes about the World around us make us who we are, as well as the experiences that help develop the aforementioned values. Having some trace of selfishness is part of what makes a normal human being in my eyes. It's not a sin to deny natural feelings and sensations that come lingering in our minds throughout our complicated and large lives.

I am currently trying to soothe someone very close to me in her time of distress and pain, several daily reminders that she is a gorgeous, lovely, wonderful person who has a heart of gold and is full of softness and sincerity. It's not a selfish thing in my eyes to constantly remind her of these facts, even if it makes me feel happy to help comfort her. I see it in another manner. I care deeply for her, if I didn't care deeply for her I would not be trying to improve her mood and show her that she is cared for. I do not get anything out of this, I don't get filled with satisfaction because I am receiving kind words back. It's just... The kind of love a brother feels for his little sister, and feeling good that he has done something to help his sister.

Selfishness is, in moderation, a good thing.

Just remember, the night might be long, dark and full of terrors, but it's never permanent. There's no Eclipse that lasts until the end of time, bright lights and warmth of the day return eventually. Staying strong is the best you can do in times of despair.

Popular posts from this blog

WHAT IS THIS WEEK?

Nice dreams are nice. ♥